City High Calendar
- The first day of classes of the 2017-2018 school year is Wednesday, August 23rd.
- All ICCSD schools will operate on a one hour early release schedule, the first week of school (8/23-8/25).
Amazing fashion show at City High!
On April 25, 2017, the Iowa City Community School District Board of Education approved the language that will appear on the ballot for the District’s General Obligation Bond referendum. This officially begins the process of formalizing the referendum to be voted on by the community on September 12, 2017.
Last November Andre’ Wright, local fashion designer from Born Leaders United, approached City High Principal John Bacon about being a visiting maker. Andre had a vision to come into the school and teach a group of high school students fashion design in addition to helping them develop soft skills, project management experience, team building, branding, design, and finding their strengths.
Per Iowa law, at the start of the 2017-18 school year, 12th grade students born after September 15, 1999, will be REQUIRED to have at least one meningococcal vaccine after the age of 16 (to prevent meningitis, a bacteria that infects the brain, blood and spinal cord).
This weekend, much of the world’s attention was focused on an effort by the federal government to impose restrictions on the ability of immigrants and refugees to come to the United States. From protestors at airports and on the streets to lawyers and judges in courtrooms, there was a swift reaction by many in support of immigrants and refugees.
There is a new state resource that provides comprehensive information on student postsecondary enrollment and preparedness that can be connected to every public high school in Iowa. A new web-based tool called the Postsecondary Readiness Reports provides a snapshot of every Iowa public high school in relation to its graduates’ enrollment in colleges and universities, remedial course-taking rates, and postsecondary retention and completion rates. These rates are available statewide and by Iowa high school.
Welcome to City High School!
City High is a special place with a rich and distinguished history. Our students are incredible, talented young people. Our families are highly supportive, active, and involved. Our faculty and staff represent true excellence in education. Our alumni share a common bond, and continually rally around our beautiful school. Together, we are “The School That Leads!”
As a proud graduate of City High (1992), I have a deep passion for our school. More than anything else, the experience I had as a student at City High shaped the future direction of my life. It is an honor and a joy to serve as principal.
At City High, we share a common vision. Our school will be:
- An academic powerhouse that delivers a world-class education
- A comprehensive high school with co-curricular activities that operate at an elite level in the great state of Iowa
- A place where all students are connected to our school so that they feel important, valued, and that they belong
- An institution with the highest code of ethics for students and staff; a place of deep respect and kindness
Thanks for taking time to visit our website. It’s great to be a City High Little Hawk!
City High School Awards
- Iowa City High School has recently been named as one of America's top high schools by Newsweek for 2015 and by The Daily Beast for 2014. It has also been named as one of the top schools in the country by US News and World Report, Newsweek, and The Washington Post.
- City High was identified as an EXEMPLAR SCHOOL for college readiness.
- City High's student publication The Little Hawk and website www.thelittlehawk.com has been named a Pacemaker in 2014, 2015, and 2016, 2017
- One of the only high schools in the country to receive both awards and the only school in Iowa.
- Best Buddies has been named the leading chapter in the country repeatedly over the last decade.