This Week at City High
City High Calendar
City High School Awards
- Iowa City High School has recently been named as one of America's top high schools by Newsweek for 2015 and by The Daily Beast for 2014. It has also been named as one of the top schools in the country by US News and World Report, Newsweek, and The Washington Post.
- City High was identified as an EXEMPLAR SCHOOL for college readiness.
- City High's student publication The Little Hawk and website www.thelittlehawk.com has been named a Pacemaker in 2014, 2015, and 2016, 2017
- One of the only high schools in the country to receive both awards and the only school in Iowa.
- Best Buddies has been named the leading chapter in the country repeatedly over the last decade.
May 24, 2019
- All AP exams are officially over today!!! Congratulations to the all the students who worked hard on these exams. A big thank you to the teachers who helped by opening their rooms to AP testing and helped by proctoring! It could not have happened without your help.
- Any boy that is going out for basketball next year needs to come up to the Study Hall, Room 2702 during Advisory today. This is for all levels Freshman through Varsity
- Any boys interested in Cross-Country for next fall should meet Wednesday, May 29 in the Commons for a short meeting at 4:15. See Mr. Dodge in room 2311 if you cannot attend.
- Come show your spirit and support our boys soccer teams on Saturday at NOON. They are playing Cedar Rapids Washington at the University of Iowa fields. Student passes are not valid. Tickets will be $8.00. The winner will advance to STATE. GO LITTLE HAWKS!
- Students- Please place your new or gently used school supplies in the plastic bins located on the main floor. Your donations of three ring binders, pencils, pens, calculators and loose leaf paper are all appreciated. Please do not place recycled paper or trash in these bins.
- Come be a part of next year's award-winning City High Jazz program! Anyone interested in participating in City High Jazz next year should sign up on the bulletin board outside of the band room. There will be an info meeting next Wednesday, May 29th at 7:00 PM in Opstad Auditorium to distribute audition materials and to discuss next year for City High Jazz. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Ottma
- A reminder from the Health Office, all medications must be picked up from the health office before the students last day.
- All students can pickup their yearbooks in Room 2109 TODAY.
- Iowa City Fire & Police Departments, Johnson County Emergency Management and U of I Police are holding a 2 day Emergency Service Camp this summer. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, you can find information in the Main Office. Best part of all…IT’S FREE!!
- Summer school information is now available from your counselor. If you need to make-up credits or classes and are interested in summer school, please talk with your counselor. Summer school will be June 4 - June 28 at City High with a session at 8:00-10:30 and a session from 10:30 - 1:00. The online credit recovery program Edge will be used and attendance every day is required.
City High News
In December, the City High School Student Senate delivered 2,337 pounds of food and $2,351 in cash donations to the Crisis Center, collected over two weeks.
In Fall 2017, the district launched Canvas as its secondary-level Learning Management System. This platform – which is used by dozens of school districts throughout Iowa, as well as by The University of Iowa and Iowa State University – serves as the online platform for all secondary-level coursework in the Iowa City Schools.
Iowa City High School has been a standout chapter over a decade and contains all the components needs for an exceptional chapter. Their student leaders, both with and without IDD, are dedicated, forward thinking individuals who work together more like a family than simply a team.
District teacher librarians have compiled a great list of resources for summer reading! From recommended book lists by grade level and links to online books, to area library reading programs, free bus ride to the library, and the current location of the bookmobile, this newsletter has it all.
The Iowa City Community School District is engaging in a strategic planning process to update the Comprehensive Equity Plan for 2019-2022. Given the importance of ensuring that the District come up with a Comprehensive Equity Plan that is aligned and integrated with current District goals and accountability structures, is data- and research-informed, and is produced through an inclusive process, we are inviting you to provide input and share your suggestions related to achieving equity in the District.
It goes without saying that this winter has delivered its fair share of inclement weather for our area. It has been quite some time since we have experienced a winter of this magnitude. With that being said, we understand that many of you have questions about how the multiple cancellations, late starts, and early dismissals will impact the end of the school year.
The Iowa City Community School District Board of Directors approved new elementary attendance areas for the 2019-20 school year. The new boundaries were approved during their November 27 board meeting. The updated maps can be found on the District website at the following link: www.IowaCitySchools.org/DistrictMaps.
Welcome to City High School!
City High is a special place with a rich and distinguished history. Our students are incredible, talented young people. Our families are highly supportive, active, and involved. Our faculty and staff represent true excellence in education. Our alumni share a common bond and continually rally around our beautiful school. Together, we are “The School That Leads!”
As a proud graduate of City High (1992), I have a deep passion for our school. More than anything else, the experience I had as a student at City High shaped the future direction of my life. It is an honor and a joy to serve as principal.
At City High, we share a common vision. Our school will be:
- An academic powerhouse that delivers a world-class education
- A comprehensive high school with co-curricular activities that operate at an elite level in the great state of Iowa
- A place where all students are connected to our school so that they feel important, valued, and that they belong
- An institution with the highest code of ethics for students and staff; a place of deep respect and kindness
Thanks for taking time to visit our website. It’s great to be a City High Little Hawk!