What is Community Education?
The School Board adopted a resolution in 2010 giving the district authority to establish a Community Education program pursuant to Iowa Code 276.10, the “Iowa Community Education Act.” The purpose is to “provide educational, recreational, cultural, and other community services and programs through the establishment of the concept of community education with the community school serving as the center for such activity.”
What are the goals of the Community Education program?
- Support our new immigrant populations by partnering with the community to offer increased opportunities for both students and parents.
- Maintain and support the Student and Family Advocate Program in every building.
- Increase accessibility to Before and After School Programs by reducing barriers to participation.
- Increase accessibility of Preschool programs by reducing barriers to participation.
- Advocate for preschool accessibility.
What are the responsibilities of a CEDAC member?
CEDAC members represent their geographic area and/or other constituent groups as we discuss needs, set goals and allocate funding. Between council meetings, members are to visit with others in your community --- colleagues, parents and youth--- to share what issues we are addressing and get their ideas.
What is the budget for the ICCSD Community Education program?
Budget for the 2021-2022 school year is $648,000.
Where does this funding come from and how are these funds currently used?
Our Community Education program is funded with SAVE dollars, generated by our local sales tax. Currently SAVE dollars support the Student and Family Advocate program, after school and summer programs, and supports for recent immigrants.
How many representatives are CEDAC?
CEDAC has ten members:
3 - Iowa City
2 - Coralville
2 - North Liberty
1 - Hills / the unincorporated areas of Johnson County
1 - rotating position from the Parks and Recreation Departments
1 - rotating position from the Before and After School Programs
Coordinator of Extended Day Learning
Director of Community Education
(319) 688-1000 ext.2643