The purpose of the Equity Committee is to advise the District Director of Equity to:
- Express and speak for school community concerns related to equal educational opportunities and multicultural/gender fair education.
- Make recommendations for the school program as it relates to equal educational opportunity and multicultural/gender fair education.
- Relate information about multicultural/gender fair education to the school community.
- Assist in the reviewing of progress reports regarding equity programs in the district and equity legislation applicable to the school district.
- Serve as liaison between parents/patrons and the school district relative to equity issues.
- Relay issues of community interest and concern related to equal employment opportunity, affirmative action, equal educational opportunity, and multicultural/gender fair education to the school administration and school board.
- Serve as lay/community resource persons for reacting to the district’s development and implementation of the multicultural/gender fair education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action plans.
- Relay information on school educational and employment equity activities to community at large.
- Review all District programs and employment policies and practices to assess the degree, which they promote multicultural/gender fair concepts.
- Promote more positive inter-group relations within the community as well as to foster positive inter-group understanding and skills among students, employees, and the community.
- Provide support for the school district’s multicultural/gender fair education program and its equal employment opportunity/affirmative action plan.
Educational Services Center
1725 North Dodge St., Iowa City, IA 52245
Time: 6:00-8:00 pm
Dates: Second Wednesday of each month
Equity Committee Members
Yolanda Rivera, Chair
Jayne Finch, Secretary
Brian F. Brandsmeier
Stephanie Van Housen
Laura Cottrell, Director of Diversity and Cultural Responsiveness
Jeremy Tabor, Director of Equity and Employee Relations