Teachers will communicate their specific classroom expectations to students at the start of the school year/trimester. The student will be expected to exhibit appropriate classroom behaviors as outlined by each classroom teacher. All students are expected to:
- Make school attendance a priority.
- Consistent and prompt attendance in every class is critical for successful academic performance.
- An unexcused absence will result in no credit for class work that day.
- For pre-excused/school-related absences students should have work for the day completed prior to being excused. The student should be prepared to take a quiz, test, or submit an assignment should it fall on the day of his/her return to school.
- The tardy policy will be enforced by each classroom teacher.
- Be prepared for and participate in class.
- Report to class prior to the tardy bell with pen/pencil, paper, text, notebook folder, and other materials related to the class.
- Complete homework in a neat and legible manner.
- Achieve maximum performance in class through effort, attitude, and daily attendance. Sleeping is not permitted in any classroom, library or offices.
- Items which inhibit maximum academic effort will not be allowed. CD or MP3 players may not be turned on nor headsets worn during class. Cell phones and other similar communication devices are prohibited during the student’s scheduled class time. Items in use will be confiscated.
- Respect other people and their property.
- At all times students should act with courtesy toward teachers, staff members, and students. Both their actions and words should reflect such courtesy.
- Students are responsible for keeping all school property (books, classroom materials) in good condition.
- Carry a student ID card.
- All students will be required to carry a West High ID card with them while in school and at school events. The ID card must be presented to check out books and to use computer resources.
- The ID also doubles as an activity card for students who purchase an activity pass.
- Replacement cards cost $5.00.