Kirkwood Regional Center at the University of Iowa
As defined by the Iowa Department of Education, Senior Year Plus is an important part of high school reform efforts in Iowa. Through these programs, high school students are provided rigorous opportunities for advanced learning. To this end, Kirkwood Community College partners with area school districts to prepare student to learn essential 21st Century skills and earn college credit through postsecondary learning options, concurrent enrollment, and Career Academies. The Kirkwood Regional Center at the University of Iowa offer hands-on technical programs and arts and sciences classes. By partnering, students now have access to highly technical state-of-the-art labs training students in areas which lead to high-skill, high-wage career opportunities.
Students have the opportunity to:
- Earn both high school and college credit at NO COST to their families.
- Explore specific career fields to help them make decisions about their future.
- Jump-start an applied science diploma, degree or technical certificate at Kirkwood.
- Earn fully transferrable credit they can take with them to a university.
- Access high tech companies and research centers on the University of Iowa campus such as the State Hygienic Laboratory, National Advanced Driving Simulator, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, Iowa Institute for Hydraulics Research and Center for Computer Aided Design.
- Access opportunities to join in research projects with University of Iowa faculty.