Senior Announcements - Graduation Information
Seniors applying for College: Follow these steps to ensure your college application is complete.
- Complete application to specific college/university (typically done online).
- Get a Transcript Request Form in the West High Guidance Office, complete it and turn it in to the guidance secretary. This must be done for every school you apply to, even if your official transcript will be sent electronically.
- If you are an Online student, you can request your transcript via this form. Indicate whether it should be sent via Common App, hard copy or e-mail, and provide the mailing or e-mail address. Pay the $3 transcript fee online. Students who receive free or reduced price lunch do not need to pay this fee. In that case, please email your counselor and let her/him know where you would like your transcript to be sent.
- If your application requires a letter of recommendation from your counselor, please make an appointment to visit with your counselor and bring either a resume or "brag sheet" so that your counselor can make note of all of your accomplishments.
- If required, send your official test scores to the schools you are applying to, if you did not do so when you registered for the exam. For ACT, visit www.actstudent.org. For SAT, visit www.collegeboard.com.
Cap and Gown Orders - Paper Packets Due by October 30, 2020. Online Orders and Full Payment Due by December 1, 2020
Online ordering and payment for Caps, Gowns, Tassels and other graduation merchandise is strongly encouraged. Go to this website for the order form and to view the online catalog for additional, optional items. Scroll to the bottom of that page to select just the cap, gown and tassel (or just cap and tassel if you already have a gown to use). Hard copy packets of the order forms will be available in the Main Office until October 30th, 2020. All seniors wishing to participate in the graduation ceremony must wear a cap, gown and tassel, the cost of which is $39.95 including tax and handling. If paying for these items will present a financial hardship, students or parents should contact the Guidance Office. Packets are due by October 30th. Online orders and all payments are due no later than December 1st, 2020.
Senior Picture Yearbook Photo - by January 22, 2021
Photos will be submitted online again this year by Jan. 21, 2021 (or Jan. 29 with a $5 late fee). All yearbook information is listed on the yearbook website wsspaper.com/trojan-epic-
yearbook. Directions for submission: Go to http://www.images.jostens.com Enter User ID 415663936. Complete the relevant information about the photo, upload and submit it on or before Jan. 21, 2021. Under “Detail” write your first and last name again. Check this spreadsheet to confirm we received your photo (spreadsheet is only updated periodically).
Senior photo requirements:
- Photos must be vertical; horizontal photos will be cropped to vertical.
- The senior’s face should be the focal point.
- No weapons.
- It is not necessary for a professional photographer to take the photo, but your photo needs to be high resolution (300 dpi).
- Seniors do not need to print photos off for yearbook submission.
- Trojan Epic photographers plan to offer a free portrait service in mid-January for seniors who need senior pictures. If you’d like to sign up for a free portrait session, fill out this form.
Contact Sara Whittaker, yearbook adviser Whittaker.Sarajane@iowacityschools.org
Yearbooks can be ordered until February. If you haven't ordered one yet and wish to, go to: https://www.jostens.com/
apps/store/productBrowse/ 1071669/Iowa-City-West-High- School/2021-Yearbook/ 2020061804234381788/CATALOG_ SHOP/
Senior Final Transcript request - April 2021
In April 2021, the guidance office will request that all seniors complete a Google Form to indicate what their future plans are after West High. This will also serve as the student's senior transcript request. If there are any questions please contact the guidance office at 319-688-1053.
Senior Recognition Assembly - mid-May. Date TBD
In April, a Google form will be sent to seniors to list their awards and accomplishments to include in the Senior Recognition Program. This form will be due in early May.
At the Recognition Assembly, seniors will be recognized through scholarships and special awards. The general format of the program allows local community groups to present scholarships to graduating seniors. Students receiving school department awards will also be recognized individually. Students receiving scholarships/awards from various colleges and universities will be recognized in the written program and as a group, not individually. Parents are invited to attend.
Senior Skip Day
A senior skip day is not a school sanctioned event since seniors will already be excused from school several days before the official school year concludes. Students should only be excused from school for reasons of illness or emergency. Students missing school for other reasons will receive no credit for any classes missed.
Final Day for Seniors - Friday, June 4th, 2021
All exams and class assignments must be completed on this date, as well as all outstanding fees paid to the Main Office.
Graduation Rehearsal - TBD
All seniors planning to participate in the Commencement ceremony must attend graduation rehearsal. Specific details will be provided.
Commencement Ceremony - Sunday, June 6th, 2021 at 1:00pm
Commencement is scheduled to take place at the Xtream Arena at the Iowa River Landing in Coralville.
We are hopeful that conditions will allow us to hold traditional in-person graduation ceremonies; however, we will continue to closely monitor the extremely fluid COVID-19 situation. Next spring, we will evaluate and make adjustments, if needed, and provide updates to families as additional information becomes available.
All students are required to wear the designated graduation attire and refrain from disrupting the program in any manner.
Seniors who do not plan to participate in the graduation program should be certain to inform Lisa Goodwin in the Main Office.
A professional photographer will photograph each senior as they receive their diploma and will mail a proof directly to your home address. There is no obligation to purchase.