What is a GSA?
A Gender Sexuality Alliance or a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is a student-led or community-based organization, found in middle and high schools as well as colleges and universities, that are intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for LGBTQIA youth (or those who are perceived as such) and their straight allies.
GSA By School
- City High School
- GLOW: Glow is available to all students wanting to create a safe school environment for the LGBTQ community. Members of this group strive to educate City High about LGBT issues and to spread positive messages.
- Meeting Time: Monday at 4:00pm via Zoom - https://iowacityschools-org.zoom.us/j/93321359921
- Sponsor: Tony Balcaen
- Co Sponsor: Jill Humston
- Liberty High
- PRISM: PRISM focuses on inclusivity and acceptance in our community. Our goal is to create a safe and empowering environment within our school by educating teachers and students on minority issues and discussing problems within the community. Open to all!
- Meeting Time: Every Tuesday after school in room D028/D30
- Sponsor: Jennifer Saylor & Melissa Nies
- Tate High School
- Glitter Club: Glitter Club is an all inclusive, supportive, safe place for students to meet and talk about issues. We have weekly topics, hold fund raisers, help with school functions, and attend the yearly LGBTQIA+ Youth Governor’s Conference. It is a fun and chill space to meet friends, eat snacks, and feel loved for being you!
- Meeting Time: Thursdays during lunch from 11:45-12:50
- Sponsor: Jamie Ellis
- West High School
- Northwest Junior High School
- Southeast Junior High School
- GLOW CLUB: The mission of the SE Glow club is to educate the community about LGBTQIA issues; to build and support acceptance for everyone; to work to end bullying, harassment, and ignorant behavior in our school; to empower people to love themselves; and to be supportive friends to each other.
- Meeting Time: Alternating Wednesdays and Fridays from 4:00-5:00 p.m Room 2025.
- Sponsor: Sara Jones
- City High School