What is a GSA?
A Gender Sexuality Alliance or a Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) is a student-led or community-based organization, found in middle and high schools as well as colleges and universities, that are intended to provide a safe and supportive environment for LGBTQIA youth (or those who are perceived as such) and their straight allies.
GSA By School
- City High School
- Liberty High
- GSA (Gay Straight Alliance): Liberty High GSA believes in youth leadership and youth empowerment. The goal is to educate teachers and students in order to improve the school climate. The club also wishes to work with the school administration to implement school policies that prevent harassment towards LGBTQ+ students, reduce negative slurs on campus, make our school safer for transgender and gender non-conforming youth, and advocate for LGBTQ+ inclusive curriculum.
- Meeting Time: Every Tuesday after school in room D028/D30
- Sponsor: Jennifer Saylor & Melissa Nies
- Tate High School
- Glitter Club: Glitter Club is an all inclusive, supportive, safe place for students to meet and talk about issues. We have weekly topics, hold fund raisers, help with school functions, and attend the yearly LGBTQIA+ Youth Governor’s Conference. It is a fun and chill space to meet friends, eat snacks, and feel loved for being you!
- Meeting Time: Thursdays during lunch from 11:45-12:50
- Sponsor: Jamie Ellis
- West High School
- North Central Junior High School
- GSA: Our goal is to provide a safe place for LGBTQ students to meet and talk about issues; to improve our school climate by promoting discussions and to increase awareness and understanding among students and staff by reflecting the diverse nature of our society so that all students feel welcome.
- Sponsor: Claire Hanson & Jen McGowan
- Northwest Junior High School
- Southeast Junior High School
- GLOW CLUB: The mission of the SE Glow club is to educate the community about LGBTQIA issues; to build and support acceptance for everyone; to work to end bullying, harassment, and ignorant behavior in our school; to empower people to love themselves; and to be supportive friends to each other.
- Meeting Time: Wednesdays at 5:00pm Room 228.
- Sponsor: Sara Jones