Driver's Education & Home School Students

  • All students can receive Driver's Education through their resident school district, through a private company, or through Parent-Taught Driver's Education.

    If a home-schooled student (CPIU, IPI, HSAP, or dual enrolled) desires to enroll in driver’s education through the Iowa Community School District (ICCSD), they need to contact their resident school’s guidance department in January of the year preceding desired enrollment. Students must have a valid learner’s permit. This early registration is to ensure proper coding in our student information system and to secure a spot in the class. Late registrations (up to the beginning of the school year) are accepted if there is room in the class.

    • City High School, (319) 688-1043
    • Liberty High School, (319) 688-1354
    • West High School, (319) 688-1053

    ICCSD contracts with Kirkwood Community College for Driver's Education. Kirkwood Community College offers driver’s education onsite at the three high schools, either before or after school, along with one driving period each week during the school day. The course lasts one trimester.

    Students pay Kirkwood directly for the cost of the program. Students who qualify for free or reduced-price lunch can apply to have this fee waived. Homeschooled students must complete an application for free and reduced lunch to be considered for a fee waiver.