Mission and Vision Statement
The ICCSD school library program empowers students to be curious, passionate, respectful learners who explore, connect, evaluate, and create.
Iowa City schools have library programs that engage their entire school communities to elevate learning experiences for all.
ICCSD Teacher Librarians are strategically positioned to:
- teach students and staff to think critically and independently to construct new understanding and insights from varied information sources.
- lead and embrace the integration of technology to enhance learning.
- connect communities of learners in virtual and physical spaces.
- collaborate with the school community to design and enact rigorous learning experiences and participate as positive digital citizens.
- maximize access to quality print and digital resources.
- champion and support the reading life of every student.
- nurture curiosity to develop a lifelong passion for learning.
About the District Library Program
The purpose of the Iowa City Community School District library program is to enable all students to be effective users of information and to appreciate and enjoy literature and other creative expressions of information.
We believe that ...
- independent, life-long learning is the ultimate goal of schools in our society and that the library program is vital to creating independent learners.
- promoting reading for enjoyment and information is a key element of the library media program.
- all children have the right to equal access to literature, information, and information technologies.
- educational goals are best achieved through the collaboration of an instructional team that includes a teacher librarian.
- the teacher librarian is an instructional leader in the building with expertise in literature, resources, and technology.
- the Information Literacy Curriculum must be integrated with other curricular areas.
- the diverse needs of students demand that learning resources in many formats are available.
- a well-organized, centralized collection of materials in many formats is essential to resource-based instruction.
- libraries are essential to the functioning of a democratic society.