Voluntary Transfer Forms & Guidelines
Voluntary Transfer Rule
- The District shall not allow any Voluntary Transfer student to compete until such time as the school has reasonably reliable proof that the student is eligible to compete for the member or associate member school under these rules.
- A student who Voluntary Transfers between schools in the Iowa City Community School District (District) shall be ineligible to compete in interscholastic athletics for a period of 90 consecutive school days, as defined in rule 281—12.1(256) of Iowa Administrative Code, exclusive of summer enrollment, unless one of the exceptions listed below applies.
- The period of ineligibility applies only to varsity level contests and competitions.
- "Varsity" means the highest level of competition offered by one school or school district against the highest level of competition offered by an opposing school or school district.
- This period of ineligibility does not apply if the student:
- Is entering grade 9 for the first time and did not participate in an interscholastic athletic competition for another school during the summer immediately following eighth grade.
- Participates in an athletic activity in the new school that is not available in the school of residence.
- Participates in an athletic activity for which the schools have a cooperative student participation agreement pursuant to rule 36.20(280)
- Participates in Voluntary Transfer and whose parents/guardians move out of their school of residence but exercise either the option of remaining in the original Voluntary Transfer school or enrolling in the new school of residence. If the pupil has established athletic eligibility under Voluntary Transfer, it is continued despite the parent’s or guardian’s change in residence.
- Participates in Voluntary Transfer, but utilizes Voluntary Transfer to remain in the Voluntary Transfer school following a change of residence of the student’s parent(s). If the pupil has established athletic eligibility, it is continued despite the parent’s or guardian’s change in residence.
- Participates in Voluntary Transfer and whose parents/guardian is an active member of the armed forces and resides in permanent housing on government property provided by a branch of the armed services.
- Voluntary Transfers from a school of residence that has determined that the student was previously subject to a founded incident of harassment or bullying as defined in Iowa Code section 280.28 while attending school of residence.
Iowa Administrative Code Section 281 Chapter 36
- 36.15(280) Eligibility requirements.
- 36.15(1) Local eligibility and student conduct rules.
- 36.15(3) General transfer rule.
- 36.15(4) Open enrollment transfer rule.