Honor Bands & Festivals
Students at West High have many opportunities to participate in Honor Bands and Festivals on the regional and state level. Audition requirements will be shared with students and sometimes school auditions will also be held prior to attending general auditions because of limited spots available. Here are the Honor Bands and Festivals that West High Bands participate in:
* Iowa All-State Music Festival - All-State is generally held on the Thurs through Sat prior to Thanksgiving break in Des Moines (Nov 17-19, 2022). There are a limited number of students that West High can take to general auditions, so school auditions are held in mid-September. Please keep an eye out for sign-up sheets. General auditions will be held on Oct 22, 2022 in Washington, IA. Information on the audition format can be found HERE when available. This information includes the number of students who will be selected for each instrument part and the details of the preparation required (scales, etudes and solo) for each student's audition. All band students are welcome to try out for school auditions.
* SEIBA (Southeast Iowa Band Association) Honor Band Festival - SEIBA Honor Band Festival is held on Jan 21, 2023 (Venue: UI Voxman School of Music). SEIBA auditions are generally two weeks prior to the Festival at Fairfield High School. There are a limited number of students that West High can take to the general auditions, so school auditions are held at the end of November. Please keep an eye out for sign-up sheets. General auditions will be held on Jan 7, 2023 in Fairfield, IA. The audition materials are the same as the All-State format so click on link above to find details on the preparation required. All band students are welcome to try out for school auditions. Note: Students who participated in All-State Band are not considered for SEIBA Honor Band. Also, students cannot participate in both SEIBA Honor Band and SEIBA Jazz Honor band in the same year since rehearsals take place at the same time on Jan 21st.
* SEIBA Jazz Honor Band - SEIBA Jazz Honor Band takes place at the same time as SEIBA Honor Band Festival. This is a chance for individual student jazz musicians to audition for a spot in the SEIBA Jazz Honor Band. General Auditions are held on Jan 7, 2023 in Fairfield, IA and will perform at the Honor Band Festival on Jan 21, 2023 at UI Voxman School of Music. All Jazz band students are welcome to try out for SEIBA Jazz Honor Band, even students who previously were selected for All-State. Also, students cannot participate in both SEIBA Honor Band and SEIBA Jazz Honor band in the same year since rehearsals take place at the same time on Jan 21st.
* ISU Honor Band Festival - Iowa State University Honor Band Festival takes place on Feb 3-4, 2023 in Ames, IA. Students are selected to participate by Director nomination.
* UI Honor Band Festival - University of Iowa Honor Band Festival takes place on Feb 18-19, 2023 in Iowa City at the UI School of Music. Students are selected to participate by Director nomination.
* IHSMA State Solo & Ensemble Festival - Interested students have a unique opportunity to prepare a solo to play before judges. Students are also expected to make arrangements for a piano accompanist. Generally, Solo Festival is held in one of the Cedar Rapids High Schools and will be held on April 15, 2023. For more information, visit IHSMA's website. Look for sign-up sheets if interested in participating.