Dual Enrollment

  • Please scroll down to find out what dual enrollment is, the ICCSD dual enrollment options for the 2021-2022 school year, the requirements for dual enrollment and the steps required for dual enrollment registration.

    What is dual enrollment?

    Through dual enrollment, students attend between 1-5 subjects (with their age based grade). 

    • For the 2021-2022 school year, students have two attendance options: on site at their attendance area school, or the ICCSD PK-12 Online Learning Program (OLP). Dual enrollment subjects will be attended in the option chosen for the school year. 

    *Note- Parents are invited to learn more about enrollment into the OLP here here: https://www.iowacityschools.org/ICCSDOnline.

    • Dual enrolled students, both on site and OLP,  are required to attend school every day their enrolled subjects meet and are held to the same attendance requirements as a full time student. Parents are responsible for the instruction of subjects the student does not attend through dual enrollment.

    What is required for dual enrollment?

    To satisfy the dual enrollment requirement, parents must choose at least one of the three options below:

    1. Hire an Iowa licensed teacher or certified private instructor (CPI).
    2. Parent or guardian serves as educator and student completes an annual assessment (approved assessment or ISASP with portfolio review of home schooled Science and Social Studies coursework).
    3. Participate in the Iowa City Home School Assistance Program (this requires meeting 4 times/quarter- 16 times/year with one of the ICHSAP supervising teachers).

    What dual enrollment options are available for the 2021-2022 School Year? 

    On site- Through on site dual enrollment, student(s) attend between 1-5 subjects (with their age based grade) in person at their attendance area school.

    • Onsite dual enrollment requires communication and planning with your attendance area school secretary (elementary) or guidance counselor (secondary) to develop an attendance plan that contains the subjects you would like your students to attend. 
    • The subjects students attend are required to be contiguous (e.g. from 7:55 - 10:45 daily for elementary or periods 5,6,7 for secondary).

    ICCSD OLP- Through online dual enrollment, student(s) attend between 1-5 subjects (with their age based grade) virtually through the ICCSD PK-12 Online Learning Program (OLP). 

    • The subjects your student(s) attend through the OLP are NOT required to be contiguous.
    • Registration during one of the district OPL enrollment periods is required for online dual enrollment.

    What is the dual enrollment registration process?

    1. Please follow the steps detailed on the Required Steps for ICHSAP and Dual Enrollment (link) page.

    2. Once the required forms are submitted, the ICHSAP secretary will email the student’s attendance area school secretary (with parent cc’d) confirming that the paperwork has been completed. This email will also relay the dual enrollment subjects listed on the Form A. Once parents  receive this confirmation email, they may call or email their attendance area school secretary (elementary) or their guidance  counselor (secondary) to confirm the student’s attendance plan and class schedule.

    3. If a student needs to change the classes they have listed for dual enrollment, parents must email an updated Form A page 2 to the ICHSAP secretary who will facilitate these changes.