City High Calendar
City High School Awards
- Iowa City High School has recently been named as one of America's top high schools by Newsweek for 2015 and by The Daily Beast for 2014. It has also been named as one of the top schools in the country by US News and World Report, Newsweek, and The Washington Post.
- City High was identified as an EXEMPLAR SCHOOL for college readiness.
- City High's student publication The Little Hawk and website www.thelittlehawk.com has been named a Pacemaker in 2014, 2015, and 2016, 2017
- One of the only high schools in the country to receive both awards and the only school in Iowa.
- Best Buddies has been named the leading chapter in the country repeatedly over the last decade.
Friday, March 13, 2020
- Please return all loaner Chromebooks to the tech room. We are running very low, and are in need of all the Chromebooks we can get! Please get these turned in before we head to Spring Break!
- Girls Tennis has a meeting by the trophy cases in the athletic area right after school TODAY!
- Auditions for those interested in trying out for the 2020-2021 City High Dance Team will be held April 2nd and April 6th. Audition forms are in the Main Office, so please swing by and pick up your packet anytime this week.
- Sophomores and Juniors: Please consider applying to be an MVP. The application link was shared with you via email on Friday.
- Lucas Elementary is looking for volunteers to help with their Spring Carnival! Details can be found in the Main Office.
City High News
In Fall 2017, the district launched Canvas as its secondary-level Learning Management System. This platform – which is used by dozens of school districts throughout Iowa, as well as by The University of Iowa and Iowa State University – serves as the online platform for all secondary-level coursework in the Iowa City Schools.
Iowa City High School has been a standout chapter over a decade and contains all the components needs for an exceptional chapter. Their student leaders, both with and without IDD, are dedicated, forward thinking individuals who work together more like a family than simply a team.
Today, we have officially reached the unconventional end to this history-making school year. The circumstances over the last two and a half months were something we never could have predicted, and were certainly less than ideal; however, the incredible strength and resiliency of our community have become more apparent than ever. For this, we could not be more proud.
We have a few updates to share regarding our Grab & Go meal service program. Since the beginning of our school closures in March, we have served over 250,000 free meals to local children and we are excited to announce that we will be able to continue providing meals to students beyond the end of the school year.
As we have shared with you, following the recent proclamation by Governor Reynolds, Iowa City Community School District high schools (City High School, Liberty High School, and West High School) will participate in the baseball and softball seasons this summer. We are able to start practices on June 1, 2020, and the first games are slated for June 15, 2020. The Mississippi Valley Conference (MVC) has announced their game schedules for Sophomore and Varsity Baseball and Varsity Softball.
Today, Governor Kim Reynolds announced that schools will be allowed to reopen certain school-sponsored activities beginning June 1, 2020. This includes high school baseball and softball. Per the Iowa Department of Education, first contests may occur as early as Monday, June 15, 2020. Given this announcement, some of our students and families have reached out with questions about how we will move forward.
We hope that this update finds you and your family well. On behalf of the entire Iowa City Community School District staff and Board of Directors, you remain in our thoughts and we continue to wish you good health throughout this uncertain time. Below you will find updates and information on multiple topics surrounding the ongoing COVID-19 situation. Please know that we continue to put the physical and mental wellness of our students, staff, and families first in our decision-making. We are here to support you in any way that we can; please do not hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have.
We have decided to conduct graduation this year in a series of in-person, individual ceremonies at each high school. These will take place at City High, Liberty High, Tate High, and West High over the days of May 28, 29, and 30. This will allow us to limit the number of students present at one time, while providing the opportunity for each graduate to wear their cap and gown, walk across the stage to receive their diploma, and have a professional picture taken. This also allows for families to be a part of this individual ceremony with their students.
Welcome to City High School!
City High is a special place with a rich and distinguished history. Our students are incredible, talented young people. Our families are highly supportive, active, and involved. Our faculty and staff represent true excellence in education. Our alumni share a common bond and continually rally around our beautiful school. Together, we are “The School That Leads!”
As a proud graduate of City High (1992), I have a deep passion for our school. More than anything else, the experience I had as a student at City High shaped the future direction of my life. It is an honor and a joy to serve as principal.
At City High, we share a common vision. Our school will be:
- An academic powerhouse that delivers a world-class education
- A comprehensive high school with co-curricular activities that operate at an elite level in the great state of Iowa
- A place where all students are connected to our school so that they feel important, valued, and that they belong
- An institution with the highest code of ethics for students and staff; a place of deep respect and kindness
Thanks for taking time to visit our website. It’s great to be a City High Little Hawk!