Voluntary transfers are requests from parents for their student(s) to attend a school other than their designated home attendance area school. Transfer forms must be filled out for each student requesting a transfer. Families are required to provide their own transportation for the student(s) when voluntarily transferring.
Elementary Voluntary School Transfer Information
Guidelines for the 2020-21 school year can be found here: https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/17960.
- This is NOT an Open Enrollment request to transfer into the District from another district.
- Voluntary school transfer requests are required at the elementary level on an annual basis.
- Voluntary school transfer requests must be filled out for each student requesting a transfer.
- Voluntary school transfer will be based on the exceptions previously noted.
- Students do not have a guarantee to keep the voluntary school transfer beyond one year (unless noted above).
- Students are not guaranteed any subsequent junior high school voluntary school transfers.
- Families are required to provide their own transportation for the student(s) when voluntarily transferring.
- The deadline for submitting voluntary school transfer requests for the following school year is March 1st.
- Voluntary school transfer requests received after March 1st will be processed on a first come, first-served basis and approval will be based on the exceptions noted above.
- The District reserves the right to deny any voluntary school transfer requests.
- All transfers are subject to cancellation.
Secondary Voluntary School Transfer Information
- Transfer requests will be required at both the junior high school and high school level. Students who have been provided elementary school level transfers are NOT guaranteed any subsequent junior high school transfers.
- Students who have been provided junior high school level transfers are NOT guaranteed any subsequent high school transfers.
- The deadline for submitting secondary transfer requests for the following school year is March 1st.
- Transfer requests will be granted based on the receiving school capacity not exceeding 95% and the sending school capacity not falling below 80%.
- The voluntary transfer form is not intended for families who are homeless. Please contact the ESC for services.
- Once a secondary voluntary transfer has been approved the parent does not need to apply each year for their student(s) to remain at that school.
- The procedures/guidelines for Varsity Athletics and Voluntary Transfer Requests do still apply.
- The School Board voted to close Liberty High for open enrollment in and voluntary transfers in for classes 2021 and younger with the exception of hardships at the November 14, 2017 board meeting.
All Voluntary Transfers are Subject to Cancellation Upon:
- Changes to boundaries/attendance areas
- Changes to District transfer policies
- Verification that transfer request information provided was inaccurate or incomplete
- Failure of the student to maintain adequate attendance and/or behavior patterns
- Change in student transportation needs