Seal of Biliteracy Program
The Seal of Biliteracy is a nationally recognized award given by our school district in recognition of students who have studied and attained proficiency in two or more languages by the time of high school graduation.
A Seal of Biliteracy is granted to all students who meet the criteria for the award; criteria are set at the state and national level for students whose first language is English and who are learning a second language. It is also for English Learners who are developing academic proficiency in their home language while mastering English.
The purposes for instituting the Seal of Biliteracy awards are numerous:
- To encourage students to study languages
- To certify attainment of biliteracy skills
- To recognize the value of language diversity
- To provide employers with a method of identifying people with language and biliteracy skills
- To provide universities with a method to recognize and give credit to applicants for the attainment of high-level skills in multiple languages
- To prepare students with 21st-century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- To strengthen inter-group relationships and honor the multiple cultures and languages in a community
Seal of Biliteracy Course
In order to achieve the Seal of Biliteracy award, students must demonstrate competency in dual language proficiency at the time of graduation from high school.
Our District's Seal of Biliteracy course is designed for students to work above and beyond the basic requirements of achieving the award. This course is designed to encourage employability skills, global citizenship, and community extension in a real-life setting, as well as preparation for continued language study in post-secondary environments.
The course provides opportunities for students to complete hours of service in their community and show evidence of their 21st Century Learning Skills. This is an opportunity to seek relevant language use and service outside the classroom and in the community so as to enhance bilingual communication skills and become responsible and active global citizens.
- Who qualifies for the Seal of Biliteracy?
- How is equitable access ensured to obtain the Seal of Biliteracy?
- What are the ICCSD requirements for obtaining the Seal of Biliteracy?
- How do students know that they are on the right path towards achieving the Seal of Biliteracy?
- When do students receive information about the Seal of Biliteracy?
- Who awards the Seal of Biliteracy?