Public Record Requests Frequently Asked Questions
The Iowa City Community School District, as a public agency, is committed to maintaining a high level of transparency and providing any member of public access to public records maintained by the school district. Under Iowa law, “every person [has] the right to examine and copy and to publish or otherwise disseminate public records.” The District has developed a public records request process to assist members of the public in gaining access to public records. Below are answers to some of the most common questions posed about the process:
- How can I make a public records request?
- Can anyone request public records from the school District and do I have to identify myself?
- Does the District charge a fee for fulfilling a public records request?
- Is there a way to avoid incurring high costs for my request?
- How quickly can I expect a response to my request?
- Does the District have to provide the information I request?
- Must the District create documents to respond to my request?
- If I make a request, does the request become a public record?
- What if I have additional questions?
- What if I am not satisfied with the response?