Student & Family Advocate
Our mission is to empower the connection between families and schools to ensure a successful learning experience for all of our children. Your SFA can help support school success through sharing information and supporting families with:
- School and home connections
- Mental health resources
- Temporary living situations
- School supplies and winter gear referrals
- District and community resources and referrals
- Navigation of school policies and procedures
- Help registering your child for school
- Pre-scheduled transportation support
The SFA is available daily, following the school calendar, and during other times as needed/by appointment. Services are free for families. Please contact your school SFA if you have any questions.
What SFAs Offer Our School Community
- Mental Health Case Coordination includes targeted student and family support for identified mental health barriers to learning as well as general information about school based and community based mental health resources.
- Temporary Living/Homelessness Case Coordination includes targeted student and family support for those living in temporary living situations as well as connection to school based and community based resources as appropriate.
- School and Home Connection is available to those seeking assistance with, but not limited to, home/school communication, supporting their child’s learning both at home and at school, attendance, and understanding school policies and procedures.
- Family Support is available to those seeking strategies on family issues including, but not limited to: family changes, homelessness, child/domestic abuse, discipline, understanding diagnoses, behavior management, problem solving in crisis situations, child development information and more.
- Transportation may be provided for families without a source of transportation to important, one time appointments, as pre-scheduled with SFA. Priority is given to school based activities such as conferences.
- Supply Pantries/Open Closet as available, including various items, school supplies, personal hygiene products, some children’s clothing, and some household cleaning items.
- Referrals and Assistance with Community Resources are available through your SFA. Staff can refer you to the appropriate resources and applications as available. Examples may include but are not limited to: food/clothing resources, FIP/Food Stamps, heating assistance, WIC, holiday resources, HAWK-I, and child care resources.