Welcome to Penn PTO
PTO Meetings are scheduled the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7pm in the media center. Free childcare provided in the lunch room. We hope to see you there!
Penn PTO sponsors:
1) Enrichment Programs
- Coding club
- Girls on the Run
- Grow Something Garden
- World Language Program
2) Staff Appreciation
- Meals for conference days
- Gestures of thanks
3) Family Fun Events
- Penn Pool Night
- Science Night
- Movie Nights
4) Penn Spirit Wear
5) And more! Could your idea be next?
Penn PTO fundraises:
Because not everything is covered in the school budget. PTO pays for things such as:
- Transportation for field trips
- Online access to IXL math
- Visiting Authors
- Opera Iowa
- Roller skating units in PE
- Ice cream for the ice cream social
As well as some really large expenses:
- Chrome Books
- Library Tables & Chairs
Enrichment programs have materials costs, and events such as Family Fun nights have their own expenses, ranging from popcorn to pool rental to booking the ISU Bug Zoo… and it’s worth EVERY penny!
Your participation is greatly appreciated, but not required. Please choose what works best for your family.
1) Fun Night – It’s a night of games and fun for all! Last year Fun Night raised nearly $12,000.
2) Catalog Sales – Starts August 30! Watch for more info. Last year this raised over $9,000.
3) Book Fair – raises money for new library books.
4) Restaurant Fundraisers – Dine out on designated nights at local restaurants where we raised over $1,000 last year!
5) Amazon Smile - Have 0.5% of all your eligible purchases donated to Penn PTO. Sign up here: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/01-0630418
6) Box Tops for Education – Trim and bag your box tops in baggies of 50 each. Turn them in at Penn. Last year we earned over $1,400!
7) Labels for Education - Turn in UPC codes with the logo to earn educational merchandise & prepaid Visa cards. This program is being phased out, so turn them in while you can!
8) Coke Rewards - Enter reward codes from Coke products at www.mycokerewards.com, or simply turn them into the office. Penn can earn teacher supplies.
9) Pizza Ranch - Save “Chuck Wagon” logos from pizza and chicken boxes and turn them into the office. The PTO earns $0.25 per logo.
10) Optimist Club – Penn earned nearly $600 last year by volunteering to help with Avenue of the Flags.
Be a Member!
Guess what? You already are! All Penn parents and staff are automatically members.
Participation in PTO:
- Allows you to be “hands on” with your child’s education. Our children love to see us in their environment and involved in things that matter to them.
- Helps you to connect with your child’s teachers, classmates, and other families in the Penn community.
- Lets you be heard. Attending PTO meetings gives you a voice. Get your questions answered, learn about ways to be involved at Penn, and help decide the goals of PTO.
- Keeps you informed and updated on school events.
No matter if it’s one meeting or one-time volunteering, you are helping students at Penn! If you have an idea about helping out that’s not listed below, let us know how you’d like to help.
1) Go to a meeting! Meetings are typically the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7pm in the school library. At our first meeting on September 6th, 2016, the kindergarten teachers will be presenting. Every meeting includes an update from the Penn Principal and lively discussion! Free childcare is available for potty-trained children.
2) Volunteer on a committee! Committees need your help to continue our current offerings: Fun Night, Staff Appreciation, School Family Nights, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS) parent representative, Book Fair, Fun Run, Mileage Club, Garden/Greenhouse, World Language Program, Girls on the Run to name a few. Sign up at the first meeting or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know your interest.
3) Help out at a specific event! Watch for emails and online sign-ups.
4) Volunteer during school! Let your child’s teacher know your interests and watch for emails with specific volunteer requests.
5) Choose to allow the PTO access to your email address via your PowerSchool registration or email us at email@example.com to be added to the mailing list.
6) Ask any Board member, call or text. Contact information is below.
Thank you to everyone who contributes to Penn PTO whether by volunteering, attending events, fundraising, baking or donating items. We look forward to seeing what we can accomplish in another great year at Penn Elementary, as we work together to enrich the educational experience of every child.
Sincerely, Penn PTO
Valerie Hoffman - President (321-4901)
Lori Doerschug - Treasure
Bonnie Pitz - Past President
Candy Dominy - Secretary
Errin Frank - President-Elect
Contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org