Welcome to the School Counseling Program
Students in the Iowa City Community School District graduate “college and career ready”, possessing the ability to be life-long learners and to use positive life skills. They have the potential to be productive and capable citizens in our society of global and technical connection, prepared to strive for personally fulfilling lives.
- All students have dignity and worth; all students can learn and become productive members of society.
- All students benefit from a learning environment of mutual respect, and have the right to an emotionally and physically safe school environment.
- Positive home/school/community relationships promote student success.
- All students’ ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual, religious, and developmental differences and special needs are valued and considered in planning and implementing the school counseling program.
- All students have the right to participate in a comprehensive developmental school counseling program delivered by state certified school counselors.
- Everyone in the school environment is responsible for ensuring that students receive support for their development in the areas of academics, career, and social-emotional growth.
The mission of the Iowa City Community School District School Counseling department is to provide a developmental, comprehensive, ethical, and data-driven school counseling program to all students. The school counseling program collaborates with students, school personnel, parents, and community members to provide a school climate and deliver programs which assist all students, regardless of differences or special needs, to develop to their greatest potential in the areas of academics, career, and social-emotional growth. The program evolves to ensure that all students can graduate “college and career ready”, with skills and knowledge which will allow them to become responsible, life-long learners capable of productive and fulfilling lives in our society of global and technical connection.
The Iowa City Community School District has a K-12 school counseling program. The purpose of the program is to provide students with personal and social development, educational development and career development.
The school counseling program of the District is based on the belief that all students should participate in activities and instruction that will assist in their optimal development. The program is seen as an integral part of the educational process. It is for each and every student, not just those experiencing difficulties.
At the elementary level, students have in-class instruction with an identified curriculum. A rich source of support from community agencies is available to students in the time of crisis. All elementary schools have counselors. Students benefit from additional instruction by the counselor in the classroom, in small groups and individually.
At the secondary level, counselors are part of the faculty. They assist students with social, educational and career development. In addition, individual and group counseling sessions are offered. Counselors at the senior high level organize and assist in the administration of a testing and assessment program for both college and career-bound students.