Welcome to the Mann PTO!
What is PTO?
- PTO stands for Parent-Teacher Organization.
- Everyone is a member: parents and guardians of Horace Mann students and the Horace Mann staff.
- There are no membership fees.
- We are a nonprofit organization, and your financial contribution is tax-deductible; just ask for a receipt.
What does the PTO do?
The Mann PTO ...
- Supports and encourages the active participation of parents, guardians, and staff to help build community. Community is a cornerstone of education at Horace Mann.
- Meets monthly to offer parents, guardians, and staff the opportunity to share ideas related to school functions and education of children.
- Brings parents, guardians, and staff together to provide support to the school in the form of funds and volunteer time beyond those provided by the District.
Examples of how PTO funds support the Horace Mann community:
- Visiting authors and artists
- Special school assemblies
- Mann outdoor education
- Books for the library
- Transportation and field trips
- Classroom purchases not covered by school funds
- Other PTO community-building events
How does the PTO raise funds?
The PTO sponsors several fundraising events throughout the year. Parents, guardians, and staff plan and volunteer at these events. All PTO events and fundraisers are optional. No one is under any obligation to buy or sell a product or to attend an event. People contribute by volunteering their time and some by contributing money. Both are equally important and very much appreciated. Together we help to build a better community at Horace Mann.
This year’s PTO-sponsored events include:
- Ice Cream Social
- Book Fair
- Bake Sale on Election Day
- Pancake Supper
- Conference Day Meals for teachers and staff
- Mini Dance Marathon supporting UI’s Dance Marathon
- Family nights at local establishments
- Mann at the Mill live music event
- Mann day at Iowa Women’s Basketball
- Mann day at Cedar Rapids Kernels Game
- Spring Carnival and Silent Auction
How can I participate?
- Attend a meeting. Meetings are the first Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm. Free childcare is provided.
- Sign up to help with various events and opportunities at volunteer4mann.wixsite.com/
- Be a classroom volunteer, room parent, field trip chaperone, etc.
- Send a note with your child to the teacher to volunteer.
- Stop by the school office.
President: Amber CappsVice President: Whitney FragaTreasurer: Emily CampbellSecretary: Mary Kate HayekDPO Representative: Stevie ToomeyVolunteer Coordinator: Lisa Gray