Iowa City Liberty High has been proudly serving the communities of North Liberty, Coralville, Iowa City, and the surrounding areas since 2017. Heading into our sixth year of existence, we are fortunate to have access to a state-of-the-art building that includes a beautiful two-story mixed-use grand commons, a two level 800 plus seat auditorium, student spaces designed to facilitate collaboration, and innovative technology that is readily available for students and staff to access. At the start of 2020-2021 school year, we opened a new 500-seat, 21-classroom addition to the academic wing that was completed as part of phase III construction. Phase III construction also included the addition of a hardscaped courtyard located in the middle of our academic wing. In addition to the indoor facilities, Liberty also has excellent outdoor facilities on our campus that feature a stadium/track, baseball and softball fields, tennis courts, and a soccer field.
At Liberty, we are a positive behavior intervention and supports (PBIS) school. We are dedicated to fostering an effective learning environment by establishing positive behavioral supports and the culture needed for all students in our school to achieve social, emotional, behavioral, and academic success. To achieve this we have developed clear and consistent student expectations and accountabilities that reflect our core values of “Belonging, Ownership, Leadership, Teamwork, and Safety.” We continuously analyze appropriate data to drive ongoing decision-making, and apply research based best practices to improve student management and outcomes.
- During the 2013–2014 school year, the Board of Directors for the Iowa City Community School District passed a Facilities Master Plan calling for the creation of a third comprehensive high school in the District.
- In the 2014–2015 school year, the Board of Directors passed new attendance zones determining which students would attend Liberty High School in North Liberty.
- Students in the graduating classes of 2018 and 2019 who reside within the boundaries zoned to the new high school were allowed the option to attend either Liberty High School or to finish their high school experience at West High School.
- In 2017–2018, Liberty High School, located in North Liberty, opened as a comprehensive 9–12 high school, and the new attendance zones took hold.
- In 2017, Liberty had a complete academic wing to accommodate:
- 1,000 students
- Two indoor gyms
- Media Center
- In 2019, the outdoor competition fields were completed.
- In 2020, the 500 student classroom addition and hardscaped courtyard was completed.