Iowa City West High School Bands
West High School has a fine tradition of musicianship in Iowa City. Established in 1969, West High Bands have been producing student musicians who excel in performance and creativity. Directors Rob and Rich Medd diligently craft a learning atmosphere where students learn to come together as a cohesive band community. West High Bands are greatly promoted by an active WHS administration and involved parent support group.
Fall 2020 Band Info:
* Curricular Band will be offered and we are working on social distancing protocols, class size, and other safety measures to help mitigate aerosols in our classroom. Details about our curriculum will be released soon.
* Our West High Band program will be offered to students in the online academy. Online students will not be able to come in during the school day (8:50-4:00) to participate in our in-person programs due to contact tracing issues and staffing. This is a general district policy.
* Students in the on-line academy will be able to participate in programs that happen outside the school day (jazz band, All-State, etc.). For students who have chosen the online option for school, please stay enrolled in the band program. We will offer a variety of meaningful learning experiences for you.
* The Iowa All-State auditions will take place online through video recorded auditions. If you are interested in auditioning for All-State, you must be registered for Band class, and the requirements can be found at this link: https://ihsma.org/all-state-audition-information-2020/
* Heck Week - Canceled due to Covid-19 safety precautions