Degrees and Certifications:
Cross-curricular Approach to Student-driven Learning
7th-grade CASL is a cross-curricular program that combines Global Studies, Language Arts 7, and Science 7.
Why are we doing this?
- Making learning cross-curricular increases student engagement.
- We have a large, diverse student population at SEJH and we want to offer diverse learning experiences to fit our students’ needs.
- A larger block of time allows for more flexibility in instruction and activities.
- Longer and more flexible block of time (about 135 min. in the program)
- Teachers decide how to divide up the available time and spaces to allow students more choice over their learning (independent, group work, teacher guided)
- Cultivating more community connections
- Cross-curricular projects
- Students satisfy standards and understandings for Global Studies, Language Arts, and Science through student-driven exploration.
- Students have more choice in how they demonstrate their understanding of key concepts
- Shared teachers
- All students in the program will have the same teachers for Global Studies, Language Arts, and Science.
- Teachers will have opportunities to collaborate and coordinate instruction to best meet individual students’ needs
What's the same?
- This is not a remedial or gifted program - CASL’s population will be representative of our student population at SEJH.
- Students will continue to receive separate grades for Language Arts, Global Studies, and Science.
- Similar class sizes; similar teacher to student ratio
- Standards and learning objectives are the same in and out of the program
- All classes outside CASL will remain the same.