Our Portrait of a Graduate Core Competencies
The Iowa City Community School District's Portrait of a Graduate design team has completed the initial work toward the goal of making 21st century learning a reality for all students. The team has developed the six core competencies that articulate our community’s aspirations for all of our students. The six Iowa City Community School District Portrait of a Graduate competencies are detailed below.
• Works effectively in a climate of uncertainty and changing priorities.
• Exhibits agility in thoughts and actions.
• Understands, negotiates, and balances diverse views and beliefs to reach innovative solutions and creates an environment where others can do the same.
• Practices awareness, sensitivity, concern, and respect for others.
• Seeks to understand others’ feelings, opinions, experiences, and culture.
• Conveys thoughts and ideas effectively using communication skills in a variety of forms and contexts.
• Listens actively and effectively to understand meaning and diverse perspectives, including knowledge, values, attitudes, and intentions.
• Considers all audiences and ensures equity of voice, especially in a group setting.
• Values diverse cultures and unique perspectives through mutual respect and open dialogue.
• Demonstrates personal, civic, social, financial, environmental, local, and global responsibility through ethical and empathetic behaviors.
• Educates themselves and takes personal action to make their community and world a better place.
• Evaluates the quality of one’s own thinking by skillfully analyzing, assessing, and reflecting.
• Engages in metacognition that is clear, rational, open-minded, and informed by evidence.
• Is motivated by curiosity to experience new ideas.
• Understands the concept of growth from failure.
• Expresses the desire to learn, unlearn, and relearn. Seizes opportunities to actively listen and embrace diverse perspectives from others.