Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
The AVID program began in our District in 2016. Over the past six years, AVID has expanded to all seven secondary schools serving students in grades seven through twelve.
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college and career readiness and success in a global society. AVID places students on the college track, encouraging them to enroll in rigorous courses, such as honors and Advanced Placement®. To support them in their coursework, AVID students learn organizational and study skills, develop critical thinking, learn to ask probing questions, receive academic help from peers and college tutors, and participate in enrichment and motivational activities to make their college dreams a reality.
Tutors are key to the success of the AVID program. Tutors from area colleges are trained to work with AVID students in study groups and individually, assisting them in all academic areas to make progress commensurate with college expectations.
AVID Elective is offered as a year-long elective class, scheduled during the regular school day, to students beginning in grade seven. Throughout the class, students participate in activities that incorporate strategies focused on WICOR to support their academic growth.
In the AVID Elective class, students:
- work on academic and personal goals and communication, adjusting to the high school setting
- increase awareness of their personal contributions to their learning, as well as their involvement in their school and community – with an emphasis on analytical writing, focusing on personal goals and thesis writing
- work in collaborative settings, learning how to participate in collegial discussions and use sources to support their ideas and opinions
- prepare for and participate in college entrance and placement exams, while refining study skills and test-taking, note-taking, and research techniques
AVID Schoolwide can have an effect on the entire school by providing classroom activities, teaching practices, and academic behaviors that can be incorporated into any classroom to improve engagement and success for all students.
The four key components of AVID Schoolwide:
- Instruction: The entire instructional staff utilizes AVID strategies, other best instructional practices, and 21st-century tools to ensure college readiness for AVID Elective students, and improved academic performance for all students.
- Systems: The systems in place support curriculum, instruction, data collection and analysis, professional learning, and student and parent outreach to ensure college readiness for all students.
- Leadership: The leadership sets the vision and tone that promotes college readiness and high expectations for all students in the school.
- Culture: The AVID philosophy progressively shifts beliefs and behaviors, resulting in an increase in students meeting college readiness requirements.
WICOR provides a learning model that educators can use to guide students in comprehending concepts and articulating ideas at increasingly complex levels within developmental, general education, and discipline-based curricula.