Welcome to the Iowa City Community School District Business Resources department. The Business Resource department is responsible for the following:
- development and submission of the district’s certified budget to the Iowa Department of Management
- completion of the district’s Certified Annual Report and Special Education Supplement with the Iowa Department of Education
- completion of the district’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
- financial reporting to the Board of Directors as part of the management information system
- development of the district’s operational budget
- financial monitoring of district’s programs and award budgets
- accounts payable
- accounts receivable
- in addition, the department works closely with the Human Resources department for payroll and benefits.
The Business Resources department is committed to providing current financial information to the district administrators to enable them to make the appropriate decisions to benefit student learning and school operation. For specific information, please feel free to contact one of the members of our department.
General Financial and Budget Information
The Director of Business Services provides the accounting expertise to the department. He is responsible for the development and reporting of budgetary and fiscal information to the Board of Directors and various state and federal agencies.
The personnel are responsible for making payments owed by the district to suppliers and other creditors. Once items are received and invoices are submitted, the accounts payable personnel submit a claims list to the Board of Directors. At their semi-monthly board meeting, the Board of Directors approves the payments, and then the accounts payable personnel mail out the payment checks.
position to be filled in early 2018
The personnel develop purchase orders from requisitions and send them out to vendors to acquire goods or services to accomplish the goals of the district, handle online and credit card purchases, work directly with receiving and payroll, and coordinate purchases with vendors, receiving, and district employees.
Department Assistant and Accounts Receivable
The accounts receivable personnel receive cash and checks for goods and services provided by the district. Money owed by customers (individuals or corporations) to the district in exchange for goods or services that have been delivered or used, but not yet paid for.
Accounts Payable/Student Activity Accounts
The student activity accounts personnel are responsible for paying bills that begin with fund 21 and funds that are transferred from the Foundation, overseeing student registration, cash handling procedures, and cash receipts.
Chief Financial Officer
The Chief Financial Officer provides administrative direction and system planning to the department.