The ICCSD is committed to providing a safe and healthy learning environment for our students. In line with that goal, changes are being made to the district’s Wellness Policy regarding classroom snacks birthday treats and classroom celebrations.
In line with our district’s Wellness Policy, student birthdays will be celebrated in the classrooms with a special acknowledgement at school. Each teacher has determined a special recognition for students who wish to celebrate their birthdays at school. No food or non-food items should be sent from home. Any items sent from home will be returned.
If students bring a snack to school, the following rules apply (ICCSD Wellness Policy 507.9):
- allow only fresh fruits/vegetables or purchased foods with the ingredients listed (no homemade foods).
- allow only foods that meet the Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks. (the only exception to this would be food-tasting related to district-approved curriculum lessons)
- not allow foods with peanuts or peanut butter, or foods that were made in a factory where cross-contamination may occur.
- food that does not meet the guidelines will be sent home.
- a list of acceptable foods (Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks) will be made available to parents and teachers at the beginning of the school year.
The ICCSD Wellness Policy Classroom Snacks is a complete list of approved foods including where the approved food items can be purchased.