The Van Allen Chess Club provides an opportunity for boys and girls to come together in an atmosphere that combines fun, learning, and competition. Chess is a great activity that helps students to improve their ability to concentrate and at the same time learn the values of good sportsmanship. Many countries across the world recognize the educational value of chess and incorporate chess into their scholastic curriculum. Studies have shown a number of developmental, cognitive, and social benefits of playing chess, including improved school grades.
Students new to chess are welcome to join. Instruction is provided to both beginners and experienced players and kids can play other students of their level for fun. In addition, students have the option of entering local scholastic weekend tournaments where Van Allen students have won many team and individual awards. Elementary school chess is rapidly growing in the area and a local chess league has formed. Several times during the school year our students will have a chance to play kids from other area elementary schools.
Meetings Times: Friday afternoon after school from 3:45pm – 4:45pm.
Note: No chess club on holidays or other days when there are no classes Also, no chess club on days with early dismissal (e.g., due to bad weather).
Meeting Place: Room 408 at Team 4 Pod at Van Allen
Chess Club Parent Coordinator
Home Phone: 319-459-1201 Cell: 319-400-3721
Important Information for Parents
- Please let the coordinator know where your child is supposed to go after chess club (e.g., going to BASP, walking home, being picked up by parent, etc.).
- If you are picking up your child, please arrive by 4:45 PM.
- Please fill out the club permission form and provide parental contact information.
- A chess club parent volunteer will supervise the children during club meetings. You are welcome to stay and watch. Parent volunteers are appreciated.
- Due to the size of the meeting space, we may need to cap the number of students who can participate. The cap will also depend on the number of parent volunteers who can help with supervising students during the meetings. Parent volunteers do not need to know how to play chess.
- During meeting times students will be expected to engage solely in chess related activities.
Voluntary Chess Club Dues
- To help defray club expenses (such as purchasing chess sets and clocks), a club dues of $10 per child is requested.
- The $10 dues are assessed once per school year. Please pay with cash or by check made payable to Tony Thompson.
- Club dues are voluntary. Children are not required to pay dues in order to participate in club activities.