What is the Positive Behavior Support System (PBIS)?
PBIS is a set of strategies and systems that enables our school to:
- Create a culture of positive behaviors
- Reduce behavior disruptions
- Create appropriate environments to educate all students.
This approach fosters successful social behavior and encourages school staff, students, families and community members to work
together to create a safe social culture with consistent expectations.
How does PBIS do this? PBIS invests in prevention. Some of the strategies include:
- Being proactive– identify the behaviors expected in all settings
- Active teaching-teachers, students, families and community members work together to teach and model appropriate behavior
- Ongoing recognition of appropriate behavior
- Clear, consistent consequences for inappropriate student behavior
- Additional support for students with more significant needs
- Collecting and using data to make decisions