What is School Counseling?
School counselors believe:
- Every student can learn, and every student can succeed.
- Every student should have access to and opportunity for a high-quality education.
- Every student should graduate from high school aware of and prepared for postsecondary opportunities.
- Every student should have access to a comprehensive school counseling program.
- Comprehensive school counseling programs promote and enhance student academic, career and social/emotional outcomes.
- Every student deserves to feel safe, heard, and seen at school.
- Comprehensive school counseling programs focus on equity through the promotion of conditions and systems that support the well-being of students who most experience inequity and injustice.
Our District students will develop mindsets and behaviors to successfully navigate a dynamic global environment and will graduate knowing about and capable of accessing the full range of postsecondary options that exist in our diverse and adapting world.
The mission of the Iowa City K-12 School Counseling department is to provide a developmental, comprehensive, and data-driven program that is accessible to each student and ensures opportunities for academic, career and social/emotional development.
Through implementation of a comprehensive school counseling program, school counselors promote equity and access for all students and make a significant impact on creating a school culture where student and family values, beliefs, cultural backgrounds, identities, and abilities are valued.
School counselors partner with students, families, district and building staff, and community partners, to advocate for and deliver systems that ensure students are treated with dignity and respect as unique individuals.