Classroom Snacks & Celebrations
The ICCSD is committed to providing a safe and healthy learning environment for our students. Due to the increase in food allergies and concerns with childhood obesity, changes are being made to the district’s Wellness Policy regarding classroom snacks, birthday treats and classroom celebrations.
When food is served to students in the classroom as a snack, birthday treat, or during a classroom celebration, the following rules apply (ICCSD Wellness Policy 507.9):
- allow only fresh fruits/vegetables or purchased foods with the ingredients listed (no homemade foods).
- allow only foods that meet the Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks. (the only exception to this would be food-tasting related to district-approved curriculum lessons)
- not allow foods with peanuts or peanut butter, or foods that were made in a factory where cross-contamination may occur.
- food that does not meet the guidelines will be sent home.
- a list of acceptable foods (Healthy Food Guidelines/ Smart Snacks) will be made available to parents and teachers at the beginning of the school year.
Selected elementary schools are piloting the celebration of birthdays without food. Please check with your child’s school to see if they are doing this pilot. Thank you in advance for assisting us in adhering to the Wellness Policy expectations.