504 Accommodation Information

  • Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination based on disability in any program that receives federal funding.  All schools in the Iowa City Community School District must comply with this law.  Section 504 defines disability as a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.  Under Section 504, schools must provide students with disabilities the accommodations needed to access and benefit from education equally with their peers.

Section 504 Overview

  • What Is a Disability Under Section 504?

  • How Do I Get Accommodations for My Child?

  • Discipline and Section 504

  • Discriminatory Harassment

  • Resolve Concerns or Disagreements

  • Formal Complaints — Discrimination and Discriminatory Harassment