Welcome, English Language Learners!
The District's English Language Learner (ELL) Program serves approximately 1,750 students in grades K-12 from more than 70 language and cultural backgrounds. The mission of the ELL program is to produce language learners who are socially and academically prepared for success in the District and in a global society.
For more information about the program — including ELL student identification, programming, and exit criteria — please refer to the District K-12 Lau Plan for serving English Language Learners.
Language Instruction Educational Program Goals
The linguistic, academic, and social goals of the program are to:
- Support the acquisition of Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) and the development of CALP (Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency).
- Help students become proficient in the four language domains of listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Assist successful participation in classroom learning situations and other school activities while maintaining a positive attitude toward self, school, and community.
- Promote understanding, respect, and appreciation for the cultural and linguistic diversity of our student population.
- Collaborate with the school community to increase the sensitivity of staff to the unique educational needs of ELL students and their families.
- Facilitate opportunities for parents of ELL students to develop home-school partnerships and participate in school activities.