Districtwide Parents Organization
The District-wide Parents’ Organization is committed to facilitating and enhancing communication and education throughout the Iowa City Community School District, as well as advocating for students in our community. The group is open to all residents in the ICCSD. Each district building has two voting members of DPO: the PTO President and an appointed DPO Representative. Meetings are the second Wednesday of the month, September-May at 11:45 am. Meetings include a light lunch starting at 11:30 am. Meeting locations vary and typically rotate among the schools and ESC (Educational Services Center). This provides a great opportunity to see the schools throughout our district. You are encouraged to attend any and all DPO meetings for the following reasons:
- Find out what is happening in our district directly from the ICCSD leaders.
- Represents the parental view on various committees and boards.
- Supports and encourages active participation in each school’s parent organization.
- Offers interesting program topics, which vary at each meeting.
- Provides a forum for sharing information, networking, and exchanging ideas on local, state and national legislative issues.
- Sponsors informative events about issues that impact education, including School Board Candidates Forum, etc.
- Sponsors district wide programs that promote safety, such as the MADD Red Ribbon Campaign.
- Sponsors events that promote excellence in education, such as The DPO Education Scholarship and Recognition Reception (in memory of Kate Wickham, a district teacher) which recognizes students, faculty and parent/community volunteers.