- West High School
Updated Quarantine and Isolation Guidelines
The CDC released updated COVID-19 quarantine and isolation guidance for K-12 schools. This guidance has also been adopted by IDPH and JCPH. On Monday, January 10, 2022, our District will transition to these updated protocols, which are detailed below. While the CDC has modified quarantine and isolation guidance for schools, we continue to require masks for all students, staff, and visitors to our schools. In addition, we highly recommend that all eligible individuals receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 must follow the below protocols:
- Stay home for five days.
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after five days, you can return to school on day six.
- If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves and you have been fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- The same protocols apply for both vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals testing positive for COVID-19.
If you have been exposed to a COVID-positive individual in your home and you are fully vaccinated and boosted (for those eligible), you are not required to quarantine. However, it is recommended that you wear a mask around others for ten days, monitor for symptoms, and be tested for COVID-19 on day five. Unvaccinated individuals who have a household exposure to someone with COVID-19 must follow the below protocols:
- Stay home for five days.
- If possible, take a COVID-19 test on day five.
- If you develop symptoms, get a test and continue to stay home.
- If you have no symptoms after five days, you can return to school on day six.
- Please Note: The above bullets also apply to vaccinated individuals that are eligible for the booster but have not yet received it and those that have not fully completed the initial vaccination process (individuals that have received one of two doses).
If your child is currently out due to COVID-19 isolation or quarantine, you will be notified separately of any changes to their return to school date. As always, parents have the option to keep their child home for the full ten days if they choose.
We are also excited to share that our District has partnered with Nomi Health to offer a drive-through COVID-19 testing site in the Liberty High School parking lot. The site will be open to the public beginning Monday, January 10, 2022. Hours of operation will be Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:30 pm. Appointments can be made by visiting nomihealth.com/iowa/. If you are unable to make an appointment online, you may register at the site. We are hoping to add additional testing sites at two other schools within the next few weeks. Information on those sites will be shared soon.
As we shared previously, masks remain a requirement for all students, staff, and visitors to our schools. In addition, we highly recommend that all eligible individuals receive the COVID-19 vaccine. For individuals that have received the vaccine, we strongly encourage you to get the booster. Boosters are now available for those age 12 and older. For individuals five years of age and older who have not yet received the COVID-19 vaccine, this vaccine locator may be used to find a provider near you.