Making Up Missed School Time
It goes without saying that this winter has delivered its fair share of inclement weather for our area. It has been quite some time since we have experienced a winter of this magnitude. With that being said, we understand that many of you have questions about how the multiple cancellations, late starts, and early dismissals will impact the end of the school year.
School districts in Iowa are required by the State to implement calendars reflecting either a minimum of 180 days or 1,080 hours of instruction. The Iowa City Community School District has opted for the 1,080 hours of instruction model. While our 2018-19 school year calendar was scheduled to have 1,129 hours, the missed instructional time up to this point has caused us to fall below the minimum required hours if the calendar were to remain unchanged through the remainder of the school year.
We have evaluated our options and have come up with a solution that should be least disruptive to family schedules while still allowing for us to recapture that important instructional time with students. Below are the changes we will implement:
- Beginning on Monday, February 18, 2019 and running through the remainder of the school year, we will add 10 minutes to each school day. This will allow us to recapture 11 hours.
- Elementary schedule: 7:55 am to 3:05 pm M, T, W, F and 7:55 am to 2:05 pm on Thursdays.
- Junior high and high school schedule: 8:45 am to 4:05 pm M, T, W, F and 8:45 am to 3:05 pm on Thursdays.
- Bus Schedules: Elementary buses will now be leaving their designated schools at 3:10 pm (2:10 pm on Thursdays). Afternoon drop off times for elementary bus riders will now be 10 minutes later. At this time, there are NO scheduled changes for junior high and high school bus pick up and drop off times.
- We will hold classes on Friday, April 26, 2019, which is currently scheduled as a ‘No School’ day. This will allow us to recapture 7.05 hours.
- We will add a half day of school to the end of the current calendar year on Friday, May 31, 2019. Elementary students will release at 10:55 am. Junior high and high school students will release at 12:00 pm. This will allow us to recapture 3.00 hours.
- In addition, to help balance the number of days per trimester, we will move the end of the second trimester from Wednesday, February 27, 2019 to Friday, March 1, 2019. This will move the ‘No School/Parent Teacher Conference’ day currently scheduled on Thursday, February 28, 2019 to Monday, March 4, 2019.
- This change will also move Kindergarten Registration from Thursday, February 28, 2019 to Monday, March 4, 2019.
While we are hopeful for the end of winter storms in our area, if the need for additional late starts, early releases, or full day cancellations does arise, we will be continually evaluating the need for any changes to this plan. We will be sure to keep families informed of any needed updates in a timely manner.
Please contact the Educational Services Center at (319) 688-1000 with any questions.