- Iowa City Community School District
Pay to Ride Application
The Iowa City Community School District Transportation Department would like to notify you of the 2023-24 Pay-to-Ride
Iowa Code 285.1.a. The Board of Directors in every school district shall provide transportation, either directly or by reimbursement for transportation, for all resident pupils attending public school, kindergarten through twelfth grade, except that:
- Elementary pupils shall be entitled to transportation only if they live more than two miles from the school designated for attendance.
- High school pupils shall be entitled to transportation only if they live more than three miles from the school designated for attendance.
When measuring the distance to determine eligibility for transportation, the distance shall be measured by using the shortest distance on public roads only. In general, school buses do not travel on private roads/lanes or in private subdivisions. Distance is measured from the student's driveway to the assigned attendance point of entrance.
If you have any questions, before applying, please don’t hesitate to contact me via email at Davis.Esme@iowacityschools.
The Pay-to-Ride Program details are listed below:
- The program is provided on a space-available, time-available, first-come, first-served basis. Participation is limited according to capacity as determined by the District and is available to students in grades K-12.
- The program is only available on existing bus routes and at existing stops. No additional routes and or stops will be considered for pay-to-ride students after the deadline.
- Buses provided specifically for special education students are not eligible for this program.
- Bus stop locations and times are assigned by North America Central School Bus (NACSB).
- Availability of seats and location of bus stops is subject to change based on changes in enrollment, boundaries, and other factors determined by the District or North America Central School Bus and can occur at any time. When changes to routes or stops occur, families utilizing pay-to-ride busing will be notified at the same time that the families of eligible students are notified.
- Students must be picked up and dropped off at their assigned location only. Pick-up and drop-off must be at the same location.
- Requests for a change in a student’s bus stop will only be honored if the student’s address has changed.
- No guest students will be allowed to ride along with pay-to-ride students.
- All students riding the bus are subject to the rules and regulations of conduct and safety established by the District and NACSB. The District and NACSB use video cameras on school buses as a means to maintain a safe environment for students and staff.
- Refunds will be granted for any unused full trimester purchased for the current school year.
- No refunds or rate adjustments will be made for days buses cannot operate because of weather or other circumstances beyond the control of NACSB or the District.
- Payments can be made online via the District’s website. Fee is charged on a per-year basis.
Payment and Fees for Service
- Pay-to-Ride fee is:
- $600 per student, per year, round trip
- $360 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for reduced-price lunch.
- $0 per student, per year, round trip, for students who qualify for free lunch.
- Full payments must be made no later than June 8, 2023, to be included on a bus roster for the start of the school year.
- Applications submitted after June 9th through September 10th will be included on a bus no later than September 25th if space available. Efforts will be made to make placements earlier; however, a date prior to September 25th cannot be guaranteed and remains dependent on space being available.
- After September 10th applicants will be notified no later than 10 school days from submission if space available.
- Applications will be accepted after the due date while capacity remains on existing routes. (Note: Students will only be assigned to existing bus stops and routes; buses will not be re-routed to accommodate requests.)
- Students are not eligible to ride until payment is received and the application is approved.
- To apply for pay-to-ride busing, please download the following form:
Pay-to-Ride Student Transportation Application: 2023-2024 Pay-to-
- Payment can only be made online: https://www.
- Mail or bring your application and receipt, from MySchoolBucks to the following address:
Iowa City Community School District
1725 N Dodge Street
Iowa City, IA 52245
If you are interested in participating in the Pay-to-Ride Program, please return the application and payment no later than June 8, 2023, to be considered for a bus roster for the start of the school year.