At approximately 2:45 this afternoon, the Iowa City Community School District was impacted by a district-wide power outage. We were in constant communication with the power company and they were unable to give us an estimate on when power would be restored.
- Elementary schools dismiss at 2:55 and stayed on their regular dismissal schedule.
- BASP programs at elementary buildings were cancelled and parents were notified by each school with information on student pick-up.
- Junior high school and high school students who were not bus riders were dismissed early.
- Junior high school and high school students who were bus riders were released at the normal dismissal time because bus routes are tiered and the elementary bus routes needed to be completed before the secondary bus routes could begin.
- Secondary parents were notified via phone call and email of this decision.
- In addition to the early secondary school dismissal, after school activities and practices at the junior high school and high school level were cancelled today with the exception of practices held outside.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation when we are presented with these unexpected situations. As always, our decision-making process is solely based on the safety and well-being of our students.