Update on COVID-19 (3/9/20)
As we shared yesterday, the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) has announced three presumptive positive cases of Coronavirus (also known as COVID-19) in Johnson County. The individuals, one middle-age (41-60 years) adult and two older adults (61-80 years) were all on an overseas cruise to Egypt. The cruise took place from February 17 to March 2, with residents returning to Johnson County on March 3. As of right now, none of the affected individuals have required hospitalization and all are recovering in isolation at home.
The Iowa City Community School District is closely monitoring this development and will continue to follow the guidance from Johnson County Public Health (JCPH) and IDPH. At this time, the presumptive positive cases in Johnson County do not immediately impact the operations of the school district.
Any decision to change current operations, including student instruction and/or attendance, will be made in conjunction with JCPH and IDPH. As a reminder, parents always have the right to keep their children at home if they feel it is in the best interest of their student’s health.
According to IDPH, there are no special precautions currently being recommended for Iowans beyond the simple daily precautions to combat the flu, including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces by using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
If you are experiencing symptoms (fever, cough, difficulty breathing) and have traveled to an area with widespread COVID-19 transmission or otherwise feel you may have been exposed, please contact your health care provider.
The most up-to-date state information about COVID-19 can be found on the Iowa Department of Public Health Coronavirus Webpage and on the Centers for Disease Control Coronavirus Webpage. You can find the District’s Pandemic or Infectious Disease Plan on our website at https://www.iowacityschools.org/Page/18654.
We will continue to provide updates to families and staff as information becomes available and we will continue to take proactive actions to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.